A Collaborative New Beginning
I am looking for people who would like to go in on renting (or possibly buying) a house/building that has ample space for a wood/machine/electronic shop. Given the lack of availability of equipment associated with school or work right now, I would think there should be a few other people interested in such a resource.
My father's woodworking business in CT is closing and I would like to keep some of the equipment and carry on his legacy of designing useful things for people in need. The problem is, I don’t have a good enough space to set things up where I rent right now in Easthampton, MA.
If I can find other people who also have this same passion for woodworking and designing useful things that people need, I am looking to create a new design cooperative so that the equipment in the shop finds a new, worthy purpose.
If you have an interest in woodworking, product design, DIY stuff, sewing, or in creating a Makerspace in Western MA or Northwest CT, please reach out!
Specifics of who we are looking to get involved with the process:
- You have a passion for making things
- You have an interest in, or experience with, worker or artistic cooperatives
- You have some skill you can bring to the table or would like to develop
Specific skills we need right now:
- People who can get the word out about the shop we can build
- People who have experience with land/building acquisition
- Someone with a large truck that can transport things weighing a ton or two
- Other people with a vision of what a community shop could have to offer
I get that this is not an ideal time to be embarking on a collaborative endeavor such as this, but the equipment needs to be moved, and it would be a real shame to see it be sold off. We can do the majority of the logistics remotely though, until we have the space and start moving things in.
- Bandsaws (wood & metal)➡
- Radial Arm Saw➡
- Drill press➡
- Table saw➡
- Several electric hand drills➡
- A bunch of different routers, including an old Shop-Bot CNC router, a table mounted Onsrud Inverted Router, and hand controlled routers➡
- An industrial sewing machine➡
- Spray panting equipment (used for sealing wood with shellac or other lacquers, not sure its applicability for other kinds of paint)➡
- Various sanders➡
- Just about every kind of woodworking hand tool you can think of
- Shop vac. (both a stationary one that use used when sawing something and a mobile one that you use to vacuum the floor with)➡
- A lot of random raw materials (wood, vinyl, screws, bolts, nuts, ex.)➡
We only have a small amount of time until everything needs to be out of the shop, therefore this art that is on the wall in the current space of a Short Fuse, ready to explode and lose everything, is apt!